Join Our Team
ECOLOGY TECHNICIAN AT TIFFT NATURE PRESERVE
Start Date: Late April to Early May, 2015
End Date: No later than September 30, 2015
Status: Part-time (Up to 28 hours/week)/Non-exempt/Temporary
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Tifft Nature Preserve Ecologist
Closing Date: April 10, 2015
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to David Spiering at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview: The administration of the Buffalo Museum of Science accomplishes its goals through the implementation of strong team processes and procedures. All staff are recruited, trained, directed and developed with that in mind. While staff has position descriptions and a well-defined reporting responsibility, they are required to be flexible in both. They will at times be asked to perform as part of project teams, where their reporting responsibility and work requirements may be different from, while related to, their basic position description. BMS Strategic Team is committed to identifying, nourishing, and employing the unique strengths each person brings with them to their position here.
Summary: A hard working natural resource professional responsible for assisting with ecological restoration, land management and scientific research at Tifft Nature Preserve.
• Perform ecological restoration activities such as invasive species control and planting of native species, including fencing and maintenance to maintain plantings
• Perform land management activities such as brush clearing for public access, nuisance wildlife control, and installing bird nesting boxes
• Perform deer and bird surveys, collect data on invasive species control techniques, and monitor ecological restoration projects
• Work alongside and at times oversee volunteers who are assisting with ecological restoration, land management, and scientific research activities
• Routine care and maintenance of tools and equipment required to perform above functions
Education and Experience and Skills Required
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, or pursuing a degree, in the physical or natural sciences (e.g. biology, geography, wildlife ecology, forestry, horticulture, etc.)
• Experience conducting ecological restoration, land management or field work
• Knowledge of the plants, animals, habitats, and ecology of Western New York
• Experience using gas-powered outdoor tools (weed whip, lawn mowers, pumps, etc.) and basic scientific equipment (GPS, data loggers, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to follow instructions, work independently and as part of a team
• Valid NYS Driving License required
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
• Bending/stooping/walking frequently
• Lifting/carrying items and objects up to 40 lbs.
• Ability to handle living specimens
GALLERY GUIDE AT THE BMS
Start Date: May 2015
Status: Part-Time, Hourly, Weekends & Holidays Required, Temporary
Closing Date: April 17, 2015
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter immediately to JoAnn MacNeil, Floor Staff Supervisor, email@example.com.
Description: Looking for outgoing individuals to join our Learning and Interpretation (L & I) team. Assist with greeting, orienting and engaging Museum guests in our exhibits, gallery activities and spaces to provide a great, memorable learning experience for families, groups and individuals. Front line on customer feedback and ongoing improvement of the museum experience.
Looking for: Outgoing personality with a flair for public speaking. Easily assimilates content and able to interpret it for others. Teaching, customer service or retail experience a plus. A passion for museums, informal education, the Buffalo Museum of Science, and science in general even better. Great job for college student, retiree, Mom looking to pick up a few hours doing something interesting and dynamic. Will train.